The Department of English language is a structural subdivision of the Institute of Basic Education named after Akzhan Mashani of KazNRTU named after KI Satpayev. It has the status of undergraduate department.
The Department of English language earlier - The Department of Foreign Languages is one of the oldest at the University. It was created in the Mining and Metallurgical Institute in 1934. Initially, The Department was small; today it is the largest department of the university. Currently, the department consists of 50 English language teachers, among them 42 - staff and 8 - part-time workers.
For many years, the main methodical work of the department was based on the activities of methodical sections of English, German and French. Over the years, the department has developed more than 500 teaching materials and published 20 books, 10 manuals, textbooks and bilingual dictionaries for technical universities.
One of the priorities of the department is international cooperation with international educational organizations, embassies of Great Britain, the USA, France, Germany, Spain in Kazakhstan, as well as partner universities. One of the important results of this collaboration was the creation of a small book collection of the department, which includes scientific, educational, fiction, reference and periodical literature in three languages. Within the framework of an additional agreement on strategic partnership between Kazakh National Technical University named after KI Satpayev and National Research Tomsk Polytechnic University international scientific and practical seminars and conferences on issues of foreign language preparation of students of technical universities were held at Kazakh National Technical University on the basis of the Department of Foreign Languages. The department was the initiator and one of the founders of the 1st International Internet Olympiad on professionally-oriented English language among 500 students of technical universities of the CIS countries.
EFL training of competitive XXI century specialists who attain sufficient English language proficiency level for communicating effectively in professional settings (6.0 and above in IELTS format)
- To implement level-based approach in teaching and learning English according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
- To focus on skill-based approach in teaching and learning English (listening, reading, speaking, writing)
- To provide opportunities for increasing the students’ English language competence in their chosen professional fields of study
- To assist students in developing critical thinking, evaluation and self-assessment abilities
- To train and retrain young teachers in modern EFL methodology by organizing workshops in professional development
- To raise the students' English language proficiency to a sufficient level to give graduates a competitive advantage in the workplace
- To enhance our capacity in teaching through the complexity in the structure and content of the English language program
- To create conditions for productive student self-study
- To maintain dialogue
- To establish connections with the labor market to identify the requirements of local industries to communicative competencies of potential employees
- To design and implement curricula and programs focused on the development of professional competences that will contribute to student mobility and will support employability of graduates
- To provide stimulating learning opportunities through a well-structured program and the continuity of disciplines
- To engage students in a variety of training activities
- To organize student cohorts and groups on the basis of the European standards for defining foreign language communicative competence level